What is a chemical peel?
It is a procedure that will improve the skin’s appearance. A solution is applied to the skin, causing it to exfoliate and peel off old skin cells, which encourages the growth of new, smoother, more evenly colored skin. The benefits are softer, less wrinkled skin, and refreshed appearance.
Before making a decision about a chemical peel, visit Horizon Dermatology and Laser Institute in Newport Beach, and Torrance, CA. for an evaluation of your skin and Dr. M. David Cole, MD will personalize a chemical peel for your particular needs.
Basic types of chemical peels:
- Superficial peels – superficial peels usually contain alpha-hydroxy acid or salycilic acid which is mild and will only penetrate the outer layer of the skin. The goal is gentle exfoliation, more even skin tone, smoother skin that refreshes your appearance. Superficial peels can be used to refresh the face, neck, chest or hands. Downtime is 1-7 days.
- Medium peels – Medium peels commonly contain glycolic or trichloracetic acid(TCH) and penetrates the outer and middle layers of the skin. These peels are anti-aging, improves the appearance of age spots, fine lines and wrinkles, freckles and skin discoloration, and they can treat actinic keratosis or precancerous skin growths. Downtime is 7-14 days.
- Deep peels – Deep Peels deeply penetrate the middle layer of skin removing moderate lines and wrinkles, age spots, freckles and shallow scars. They contain trichloracetic acid(TCH) in a stronger concentration than used for a medium peel, or phenol. This is the ultimate anti-aging peel that produces immense improvements in the skin’s tone, texture, and evenness as well as offering all the benefits of a medium peel. Antiviral medication may be prescribed to prevent cold sores. Sun exposure is to be avoided for 3-6 months. Follow-up appointments are necessary. Makeup may be applied after 2 weeks. Downtime is 14-21 days.
Possible side effects
- Reactivation of cold sores
- Temporary or permanent changes in skin color, especially for women on birth control pills, have a history of skin discoloration, or who become pregnant after the chemical peel.
After any chemical peel it is advisable to avoid sun exposure and smoking, that will interfere with healing and can result in infection and scarring.
Good candidates are people who are healthy, don’t smoke, are not pregnant or nursing, haven’t taken Accutane in the last 6 months, have no skin conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, dermatitis or rosacea, and have not used Retin- A prescription skin treatment, any product that contains vitamin C, or bleaching agents in the past 2-3 days.
At Horizon Dermatology and Laser Institute in Newport Beach, Torrance, and Fullerton CA, Dr. M. David Cole, MD, a board-certified dermatologist, wants you to look and feel your best. He knows that looking better will make you feel better. Let us help you achieve and maintain healthy and beautiful skin. Dr. M. David Cole, MD is a fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology and previously trained hundreds of physicians in facial cosmetic procedures and aesthetic dermatology at UC Irvine School of Medicine. He is revered for this outstanding aesthetic results.
Take your old skin and make it new, call us today.