Botox is made from botulinum toxin Type A, a powerful natural poison. In small doses it is used to smooth facial wrinkles caused by the muscles of expression- called dynamic muscles. It works by blocking signals from the nerves to the muscles, temporarily paralyzing the muscles, which gradually smooths the skin over these muscles for a natural look.
Since the muscles can’t contract, the wrinkles relax.
Botox is a neuromodulator used to treat aging skin. Injected into the muscles that make wrinkles around the eyes (crow’s fee), horizontal frown lines in the forehead, and vertical furrows between the eyes (glabella lines or 11 lines), and bunny wrinkles on the sides of the nose.
In the skilled hands of Dr. M. David Cole, MD, Botox injections can:
- Provide a mini brow lift. When injected into the muscles of the eyebrows, it elevates the brows which opens the eyes, and accentuates them.
- Reduce the appearance of vertical neck bands that appear as we age.
- Improve your smile! If you show too much of your gums when you smile, which usually results from excessive lip elevation, Botox injections will weaken the upper lip muscles and provide a more balanced smile.
- Smooth chin dimpling.
- Reduce the appearance of fine vertical lines around the lips.
- Lift the corners of your mouth to relax your frown, and improve your smile.
The effects begin to be observed in 24-48 hours will full effects visible about 5-7 days after the injections. This noninvasive procedure is done in the doctor’s office and there is no downtime. It is safe and effective.
If you seek a more youthful appearance without surgery or major downtime, Botox will provide real, noticeable results. Repeated Botox treatments every 3-4 months will provide longer term results (5-6 months), reduce the amount of the drug needed to suppress muscle activity, and reduce the frequency of injections to maintain your results. This is because when the muscles are reinjected before the prior dose has worn off, repeat injections may actually be more effective. And, over time lines and wrinkles become less severe because the muscles are trained to relax.
There are no known side effects from long term use, and will not cause a loss of future effects. Only a small percentage of patients may build resistance and there are other similar formulations that can be used, such as Dysport and Xeomin.
Dr. Cole is a board-certified Newport Beach dermatologist and is well known for his expert techniques in minimally invasive cosmetic procedures, especially Botox and dermal fillers. He is one of top injectors in Orange County, California. When you schedule and appointment, he will examine your face and determine the best, most personalized treatment for you.